Friday, May 05, 2006

Now Playing - Pinoy Big Brother: Kim Edition

I critized it, I lambasted it, I poked fun at it (in numerous occasions, and I might add, with a mighty dose of satisfaction each time). I'm talking about ABS-CBN's Pinoy Big Brother.

But as much as I sincerely hated the first two iterations of this show, I can't seem to get enough of the latest--Teen Edition. It's not really that the show has 'improved'--it hasn't. The show's premise of a dozen or so 'housemates' stuck in a communal house, with menial tasks from here to there, has largely remained the same. So, what has convinced my usually rock-hard critical two cents to do a 180? One word: Yaks!

And to those not yet bitten by the Big Brother bug, yaks is the oh-so-cute one-time expression (she hasn't repeated it...darn) of Chinese cutie Kim during that time when kuya ordered her to sing a Chinese song, which unbeknownst to her was being simultaneously broadcast to the whole house (see, I'm watching the show).

Ok, ok. A complete reversal of thought just because of one cute girl (but she's so darn cute!) may seem illogical, beyond reason, or downright immature. Well, the truth is that my basic opinion fo the show remains the same. After all, I don't usually enjoy reality-based programming. And I especially detest constant outflux of emotions (which the show has an unhealthy amount of). In fact, since this is an all-teen edition, the frustration factor is at many times unbearable. If I was in that house (which I wish I was--seriously!), I don't think that that the word restraint would be in my vocabulary. I'd have given many of the characters a serious talking-to. Although I realize that they're still teens and that maybe I was just like them sissy-pants when I was their age, so I may be overreacting.

But the truth is that I watch this show everyday, in all its many versions (the primetime one, the uplate one, the before noon one. Are there other versions?), and I might just see this through right to the very end. Well, as long as Kim doesn't get evicted.

This author realizes that many years from now, when the author has settled down and finally gets married (???), and when all picturesque memories of Kim has faded (though, probably not), that he may kick himself in the arse several times over and be as red as a rose in embarassment for ever having written this piece. But until that time, happy reading.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:21:00 AM, Blogger Azrael said...

No, no, NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I can't believe you fell for the show's strategy of placing aesthetically pleasing dumbfucks to mesmerize the equally intellectually-challenged public. You betrayer of the cause! Put a goddamn "bayong" on your head half Japanes bum - no amount of italicized excuse at the end will save your sould from damnation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home